Thursday, May 7, 2009

Composting. What the hell is that?

Coming from GW, a place where I seriously believe they put the shit from recycling bins into the trash, I was initially completely confused by the idea of composting.

This UW place is straight up crazies when it comes to this stuff. They have corn utensils (that sometimes melt in your hot food), all kinds of eco-friendly paper carry out boxes, and big compost bins next to all the recycling and trash bins. They also have these handy signs that let you know what is compostable.

Apparently Coca-Cola made its first compostable soda cup for our campus. Holler?

When I first moved here months ago, composting culture was definitely one of the things that struck me most. But the next thing I immediately thought was: where does all this shit go? Today I finally looked it up. It apparently goes here... they say they get about 14,500 pounds/week from UW campus.

Also, I like that recycling pickup is free in Seattle. They also have yard waste shit pickup. My faux aunts who live a few blocks over don't even have trash pickup. They just compost and recycle. I guess it's cool they're trying so hard, but I wonder if the composting dump looks any different from a normal trash yard.

No comments: