Friday, February 11, 2011

Seattle's top street murals: Part 4

(Also, parts 1, 2, and 3!)

This series is quickly becoming the U-District's best street murals, but I promise you, this is only because it is winter and I am tooooo lazy to have to take the bus anywhere when it is raining/"cold"/gross out.

I present to you the campus parkway street mural. Created in 2004, apparently by Seattle students, it caused a big whoop at the time, because it looked too much like actual graffiti. And the city of Seattle didn't want to condone graffiti. But then they realized, "Oh, wait, we are Seattle, goshdarnit!" And they changed their minds.

Now that it's a good six something years old, there's graffiti on top of art that looks like graffiti! Meta! This mural is quite extensive, so I'll just include highlights:

See? These people did this art for FREE!


I love when art hits you across the head. It makes me laugh.


I thought this part was particularly sweet. Check out those elaborate tags.
 
Angry waterfall which happens to be below a bridge above burning land (not photographed).


Poseidon, or some awesome water monster rides a majestic seahorse. The angry waterfall (above) is presumably mimicking Poseidon's mood. Or maybe it's just having a bad hair day.


A motley crew of sailors are about to be pwned by Poseidon.

 

Tower of Babel?

 
So colorful!


An accordion snakes around the staircase that leads up to 11th Ave NE.

 
My personal favorite piece. "THIS IS YOUR DEEP SPEAKING TO YOUR SHALLOW." I love when middle schoolers try to be profound.

No comments: