Friday, January 9, 2009

HSC, II

I know I've already posted about the wonders of the HSC (which is somehow now down to 11th in area in the world), but I still cannot get over this building.

I've discovered that wing BB has 17 floors, while many of the other wings only have between 4 and 9. My adventure to floor 17 included getting to sit in an empty waiting room in the psychiatry department while waiting for a department chair's secretary to tell us that no, he wouldn't be in today because of a family emergency. He strolled in 30 seconds later as I was packing up.

Monday, I found the almost secret labs that reside below ground only, under the entrance to the hospital. Everything in these labs is locked by key pad, but I got inside for a meeting with a physicist-turned-radiologist and saw people in strange, white outfits and huge-ass glasses, holding needles. These people were being kept behind what appeared to be bullet-proof glass. Rats might be doing human experiments in there.

Today, I found an actual secret wing of the building, wing NN. I always bring a map of the HSC along with me when I'm going into uncharted waters. NN was nowhere to be found on this map. It also wasn't on the online version of the map. Now why would there be a North-North wing (there is a NE, SE, SW, NW, which all make sense)? Let me tell you why. This is where they keep nuclear radiology, a department which surely does not exist. I sat in a nearby patient waiting room full of preggers women before I snuck into the key-padded NN wing.

Now all I need to do is find where they keep the monkeys. (True story, they have monkeys somewhere.) And figure out what the hell any of these people I'm working with are talking about.

2 comments:

Baby Bear said...

You should be careful where you go. What if they find you and kidnap you? That building sounds ten times scarier and more confusing than Old Main (which is a labyrinth that one could get lost in for hours or even days).

MakingPennies said...

Oh, it's way scarier than Old Main. Probably at least 11 times scarier. The building is about a half mile long. And many stories tall.