Saturday, February 5, 2011

American Idol is the best thing that has happened to J-Lo's career since "Jenny From the Block"

Remember when they chose J-Lo for American Idol, to replace Paula Abdul or Ellen? Me neither.

But now her songs are making a comeback. Dance heavy, singing light, her songs always fun but not super memorable. Main themes: (I) She is a real person, who lives on the block. (II) Dancing makes the world better.

J-Lo top (according to me) discography, and fav parts:

  1. Jenny from the Block (2002)- Hands down Ms. Lopez's best song. I) This is the song where she screams across the earthwaves that she is from "THE BRONX!". "Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got/ I'm still. I'm still. Jenny from the block." Then some dude in the background sings "everyone's got to make a living"... just in case you still thought she was selling out.  
  2. Let's Get Loud (2000) - J-Lo's best dance song. "Let's get loud! Let's get louuud! Let's get louuuuuuuuud!" 
  3. Ain't It Funny (Alternative Version) (2001)- A new favorite of mine, only because of the video. J-Lo becomes a gypsy, and dances You Got Served style in the center of the gypsy camp. 
  4. Love Don't Cost a Thing (2000) - The lyrics to this song are key. "Think I wanna drive your Benz? I don't."
  5. Ain't It Funny (2001) - Umm this is some key Ja Rule (the early 00's best known sh*t rapper). "Baybay. Is that your girlfriend? I've got my boyfriend. Maybe we can be friends." 
  6. Play (2001) - (II) "Feels so right that it can't be wrong".Wannabe electro influences. 
  7. I'm Real (2001) - (I) "I live my life to the limit and I love it". Because anything featuring Ja Rule  has to be included.
  8. All I Have (2003) - J-Lo singing a slow song. With LL Cool J. (I): "I'm good/ Reppin' the girls on the block.
Sorry, J-Lo, "Waiting for Tonight" and "If You Had My Love" don't make the cut.

Looking to the future, J-Lo is supposedly releasing a new album ("Love?") this year. I'm not sure if this is really a single from the album (it's supposedly getting released on Tuesday...), but in the first 45 seconds you can tell it's already good: it's dance heavy, uses the phrase "It's a new J-LoRation", "references Inception, and might (?) include the word "badonkadonk".

No comments: