Sunday, July 26, 2009

Capitol Hill Block Party: Noisettes

I was at the Capitol Hill Block Party Saturday. Was my favorite act the Thermals? No. Was it Sonic Youth? Nope. Was it that shitty rapper SOL? Oh HELL no. Without a doubt my favorite act was the Noisettes.

The Noisettes were the only band in the Stranger's block party guide with only a two sentence review. They apparently were a "late addition to the Block Party lineup". And the lead singer is "supposed to be very charismatic in a Karen O sort of way." It was strange that I read this after the Block Party, because I had just made the same comparison. Because she really IS crazy like Karen O, only she can actually sing as well as do Karen O's screaming. Sometimes they also throw some 50's style pizzazz here and there.

Shingai Shoniwa, main singer and bassist. Screaming.
She decides to climb the 10 foot, shaky speakers

Shingai Shoniwa, getting her dress taped together after the first song. It broke during her antics.
Please watch some of their videos. Supposedly they're quite popular in the UK, since they're Londoners or something. Uhh. watch this. And the one below.

1 comment:

John said...

Sorry to comment on ALL OF YOUR POSTS, but I just heard the Noisettes for the first time last night. The song was "Never Forget You," and I felt like it came across space and time to punch a hole in my head. I started, a few months ago, to develop an idea for a novel about a girl group in the 1960s, and the Noisettes sound like the band in my imagination.