Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Breakfast in the U-District according to a UW student

Portage Bay Cafe

(6/10 on my bangin' scale.)

The most popular place for breakfast in the U-District.

I've been to this restaurant a couple of times now, mostly because it is the closest restaurant to my house. Oh yeah, and I went because two of the times someone else was paying. Holler.

The good: Organic food, big servings, open toppings bar (mostly berries and fruit) for your pancakes.

The bad: The food is so-so. I mean, it's breakfast food. (Unless you get one of their specials like pumpkin pancakes). They're all fancy schmantzy about being special and organic and healthy. Also, it's kind of expensive. The wait is usually 1 hour or more on weekends.

I've tried: Omelette (with some kind of goat cheese. I like goat cheese a lot, but their method of serving it was not too exciting). Pumpkin pancakes (absolutely delicious. It's a seasonal thing, though). Migas (Eggs on a tortilla. Unremarkable).

 Portage Bay Cafe on Urbanspoon

Voula's Offshore Cafe

(8/10 on my bangin' scale)

Voula knows where the moolah's at. She's pimpin' it up.

The good: Greasy, disgusting. Cranky-looking older men (regulars) occupy the stools at the counter. Humongous portions. Original ideas for their breakfast dishes. 1/4 block away from my favorite view of the space needle (from under I-5).

The bad: Also very popular. Service is slower.

I tried: The Hobo. It's basically everything you'd want in breakfast food. Eggs, potatoes, toast with "greek sausage" (aka gyros meat). Smothered in melty feta. Cheese is delicious. They serve you about 3 pounds of greasy goodness.

The moral: Voula's is better. But don't take my word for it.

Voula's Offshore Cafe on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Baby Bear said...

mmmmmmmmmm breakfast.....

also, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm pumpkin pancakes!!!!!!!!!!!!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

LAudaP said...

Yes, I will move to Seattle now.